Saturday, July 13, 2013

Digital Inequality

This particular lesson was very revealing for me.  As I have worked hard to use technology in the classroom, I definitely haven't given the issue of digital inequality as much thought as I needed.  Also, as our school works feverishly to "flip classrooms", reading the research and the articles made me realize just how many students we will be leaving behind if we continue at a breakneck pace without considering how different students have very different digital skills, access and assistance.

I loved the TED video that described the digital divide/digital inequality issue as a "new illiteracy".  So often my second language students or students with dyslexia struggle in school not with the actual mathematical concepts, but with the literacies of the textbook or mathematical terms.  Over my 11 years of teaching in public schools, I've worked to increase my awareness of this issue and develop classroom strategies in response.  The issue of digital inequality is the same.  I now have a responsibility to address these "new illiteracy" issues in my classroom, just as I have with the aforementioned issues.

Below please find my very first voicestream ever!

Digital Inequality in the Suburbs

No comments:

Post a Comment