Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Second Life and Me

As we've gone through edtech 531 this semester, we've encountered several virtual worlds for us to explore and hypothesize how our lives (either personally of professionally) might be affected if these worlds were included in them. When considering my personal life, I just don't see it. I prefer my world in its real form, in fact I love it. These trips into the virtual worlds are fascinating, but only for short-term experiences, similar to watching a television show. Certainly not to replace bits of my life as I currently live it.
Minecraft was interesting, but the game part of it was frustrating, where I had to avoid creatures intending to 'kill' me. I just wanted it to end. Second Life, however, at first use, was far more pleasant. It had similar elements in that youtry to create, explore, and associate, but it had less of a feel of a video game, and more of a feel of a life experience. Will I forever use it? No, not for personal use. The experience in the class setting is definitely anticipated, but further use beyond the course, as I sit here now, seems far-fetched at the least. In my classroom, however, I can definitely see a further use. Minecraft would seem more likely because Second Life has too many 'adult' arenas, but integrating a virtual world seems a brilliant idea. Why would I implement something in my classroom that I personally wouldn't use? I guess I feel that life experiences are critical for high school students, and the more I can present, the more I can have students engaged with, the grerater their experiences will be, and therefore the greater their education is.

No comments:

Post a Comment