Saturday, June 22, 2013

EDTECH Research

I feel like Rip Van Winkle a bit, as I remember wandering through the dark corners of libraries trying to find a particular article when I was in college.  The capacity to use Google Scholar and access these articles without venturing into those darkened corners seems like a revelation (and makes me want to say to my students that they have no idea how great they have it -- the research equivalent of saying, "in my day I had to walk a mile to school and it was uphill both ways.")  Access the Boise State library from the wilds of Colorado also seems quite magical.  Perhaps I would have been a bigger fan of research projects in college had this all been available way back then.

The articles I found reinforced my determination to use educational technology for inquiry-based learning and provided a few key cautions to my journey.  The biggest warning that came through was not to use technology as an end-all be-all but as a tool in the secondary mathematics classroom.  The role of the instructor doesn't disappear and become the internet.  The instructor must be even more careful and provide explicit guidance when there are so many thickets and distractions on the nexus of paths through cyberspace.

I was also frustrated with the articles that looked amazing but cost too much money to download!  I kept getting super excited by a title just to find that I would have to pay for a yearly subscription to a journal in order to read.  Since I have five children and am paying to pursue this degree, I must admit that I limited myself to the available articles.  Below please find the link to my work.

Annotated Bibliography

No comments:

Post a Comment