Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Welcome

Hey! My first blog! I believe the purpose of this is exactly what I first titled it: Learning. I guess it'll evolve over time as I figure what I'm doing and how I'm doing it. I've been teaching a class for seniors for 8 years now that I've slowly changed into a technology-based math class that focuses on the math/numbers/money that the students will be facing in the next 5-10 years of their lives. It's been very successful, and has won several awards and grants! Here's a video I made that won an award through the Council for Economic Education (it also details fairly well how I am as a teacher):

Good fun making that in a parking lot in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

My desire to get this degree comes from my desire to make technology a practical tool for students.  I want math to cease to be an abstraction for my students and to be something that informs their life decisions.  Although I have iPads in the classroom funded by grants, I know that I can do more with them as tools for students to demonstrate mastery and for us to share/collaborate/create.  I'm excited by the possibilities but at times overwhelmed by the technological details.

I live in sunny Colorado with my wife and 5 children.  When not teaching full time or pursing this degree, I love trivia competitions and Miami sports.

1 comment:

  1. I love your statement: "I want mat to cease to be an abstraction for my students and to be something that informs their life decisions." All too often my students ask "Why is math important and when will I ever use it?" I always point out that math is everywhere in life and it is important to our livelihood. I look forward to working with you!

    ReplyDelete