Saturday, June 22, 2013

RSS in Education

So there is definitely a learning curve with screencasting.  I had to try it several times, in order to create a fluid product.  It was also hard to keep hearing my own voice (ugh.)  But the possibilities for the classroom of having these screencast artifacts is amazing; students who struggle with certain concepts would definitely benefit from having a YouTube channel full of specific tutorials.

I must admit that I never really paid attention to RSS feeds before, despite the amount of time I spend on the internet.  I thought they were automatic and provided by the web browser.  Quite the learning curve for me on this particular topic!  Once I understood what the streaming possibilities were, I got very excited by the applications in my high school mathematics classroom.  Since my personal philosophy of teaching math is one of encouraging students to see math as a way of understanding the world around them, the RSS feed provides a great opportunity to do just that.

Exploring RSS feeds also made me engage with the possibility of Twitter as an educational tool, which is DEFINITELY an idea I never considered previously.  So much of what is entertainment or pop culture can be reconfigured as a classroom tool -- that's one of the most prominent themes of this program for me so far.  I look forward to going even further in the process of noticing, of paying attention to something that I previously took for granted and finding ways to use it in the classroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment